Saturday, August 20, 2011

Planning session for radiation treatments

Hal and I went to McKay Dee hospital for my "planning session". I was placed on a table and (...I'll see if I can describe this...) a flat, white, hot, mesh outline of a head and shoulders was pushed onto my face and shoulders and anchored to the table (I felt like Han Solo, frozen in his 'cryptogenic' thing). Then the workers proceeded to physically form it to my face. They then placed cold, wet towels on the mask so it would harden in the exact shape of my body. They then proceeded to take pictures and make markings on the mask. I was anchored to the table for about 20 minutes before it was removed. Then I was taken for a catscan. The doctor wanted to have contrast in the image, so the nurses needed to inject dye into my body. The first nurse tried twice to find a vein. The second nurse tried three times. Finally an E.R. nurse was successful on his second try. The seven bruises on my arms are quite beautiful. I've never had this much difficulty with an I.V., but I've not been drinking much and we figure I am probably dehydrated.

I will be starting daily radiation treatments here in Logan beginning on Sept. 6 (unless they can get me in earlier). The mask that was created today will be placed over me and anchored to the table and then the radiation/laser machine will rotate around my body targeting the tumor. I am so grateful for the marvels of modern medicine. One of the nurses today told me that about 10 years ago, they used wires and tape to keep people in place while attempting this kind of radiation therapy. I'm really amazed at what they can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment