Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Test results

From Leslie: Here's what happened today.

Hal and I decided to fast together and attend the temple this morning, deciding that would be the best way to pass the time as we waited to meet with the doctor and hear my prognosis. I cried through the entire session, but he said he had an amazing feeling of calm when he entered the Celestial room. I was glad to hear that because neither of us have been so scared in our lives as we've felt these past two weeks. There are no words to describe how we felt when the dr. said that all of the tests came back clean, which means the cancer is isolated within the sinuses. I will therefore not require chemotherapy. On Thursday afternoon I will undergo an operation to remove the bulk of the tumor and that morning we will meet with the radialogist in Ogden to discuss our options and schedule radiation treatments. How quickly our perpectives change. Never in a million years would I have imagined I'd be praying for radiation treatments.

It's been such an interesting and enlightening experience to visit the cancer treatment center during the course of this experience and watch the despair people feel comingled with such hope. These are some of the most amazing people I have ever met.

These past 14 days have definately given me a new outlook on life. Let's recap: in the past 14 days...

1. A lizard jumped down my shirt
2. I found out my "allergies" were actually a malignant tumor in my nasal passage.
3. I have had 3 MRIs, a PET scan, 4 injections, blood tests, a bone marrow biopsy (which involves removing bone from the hip), a biopsy of the tumor, 2 balloons inflated inside my nose, drank 16 oz of barium, and a skeletal survey.
4. Our pediatrician ordered that my 11 year old daughter have an MRI as well.
5. Our house flooded.

AND...

1. 14 people brought us food.
2. 6 different people cared for our children.
3. 2 people sent us money.
4. 18 people were at our home within 15-20 minutes of hearing that our home was flooding and they had all the furniture, carpet, and padding out, a trench dug around the side of our home, and the water removed so quickly that even after 6 tests the restoration company found absolutely no moisture in our walls. Incidentally, our bishop refused to let anyone contact us until they had our home cleaned up as much as possible.
5. Hal and I have not fought the entire time.

INDEED, MIRICLES DO HAPPEN!

2 comments:

  1. So glad that things are working out better now. I guess that you Parrish girls will never stop having lots of excitement in your lives! But you are real "troopers" and seem to make it through the tough times in spite of whatever hits you. Hope the surgery and treatment go well. Good luck and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your outlook and the way you word all of your experiences. I don't think I could be that positive. I really do love you guys and I am glad things are looking up. The church is filled with amazing people and I absolutely love your flood story. We really wish you the best and keep you in our prayers. Love you tonz!

    ReplyDelete